You will need...
Chicken Breasts
Mushrooms
Green Onions
Rice Sticks
Soy Sauce
Sesame Oil
Garlic
Sugar
Black Pepper
Olive Oil
Chicken Broth
This takes a bit of prep time and cook time, so if you are hungry now, you might want to save this one for later when your tummy isn't rumbling.
I start out by cutting the chicken into pieces. Whenever I'm making something that requires diced pieces of chicken breasts, I pick up a pack of chicken breast tenderloins. Years of being terrified of the kitchen have led me to work smarter, not harder. I prefer to let Jim Perdue start cutting up my fowl, I'll finish it up and take all the credit. I like to cut smaller pieces than I would use in other dishes, because I like the veggies to get some notice in this dish, too.
Place the chicken aside. It's garlic time. Now, I used to take the easy route with garlic, buying those big jars of minced garlic, but after being duly chastised by Anthony Bourdain in Kitchen Confidential, where he denouces using a garlic press and "that stuff drenched in gross-ness" (or something like that) I started mincing my own fresh garlic. I use a whole garlic for this dish, because we are huge garlic fans, but you can use less if you're not as enthusiastic about deterring vampires as we are. I use my handy "Slap Chop" to mince it up.
Seriously, these have got to be the biggest cloves I've ever seen. ("That's what she said!")
I love you, Slap-Chop
Yummy. And yes, that is a ton of garlic.
Now you're ready to start marinating. Grab a bowl your chicken pieces will fit in. Add your lovely, freshly minced garlic. Add a small amount of sesame oil, you don't need to coat every piece, but at least enough to cover the bottom of bowl. Add soy sauce.
When you're satisfied that your chicken is throughly marinated, you can get back to work. Heat some olive oil in a wok, and when hot, add the chicken and any marinade that wasn't soaked up. If you don't have a wok, use a very large pan. A wok works really nicely for this dish. I've found you can spend a ton of money on a wok, but I found one for $15 at World Market that is amazing.
Before you get too into things, grab your noodles/rice sticks. Check the package, most rice sticks want to be soaked in cold water for at least 30 minutes before you cook them.
It would have taken me forever to find them, but my friend told me "bright orange package, like Ramen but not!"
Now that your noodles are soaking, sautee the chicken until it is fully cooked. Add the green onions, mushrooms, and any other veggies you like. We're adding bean sprouts and snow peas tonight for something new.
There's nothing more to do but wait until the noodles cook. Stir occassionally, adding more chicken broth if it starts getting dry. The noodles take awhile. They will have slight crunch to them even when done, but it's your call how cooked they are.
I hope you enjoy this dish as much as we do. You can see it can really take on a life of it's own as you tinker with the ingredients.
If you have leftovers, I've found adding a little bit of water before microwaving helps keep everything nice and moist.
Enjoy!
2 comments:
Ah, I forgot how much you love garlic...as do I. ;-) Those are some big cloves you're rockin there, ma'am.
This looks super duper yummy. I'm starting to grow weary of Rob's dad's inability to eat anything interesting. Because I'd make this in a heartbeat. Sigh. Maybe he'll just have to have leftovers one night. I need to work something out.
This looks delicious. I love garlic and imagine this dish smells heavenly while it's cooking.
Post a Comment
Leave me some love!